SMARTCOMP FINAL CONFERENCE 2013
See Beyond the Sea – Baltic Sea Region Maritime Sector in the Global Competition
26-27 November 2013, Turku, Finland
The SmartComp event culminated in the See Beyond the Sea conference. The event provided knowledge on how to enhance competitiveness and cooperation between maritime actors by improving business operations, branding and policy making. The event discussed the topics from both regional and international perspectives.
The conference gathered together participants from private and political spheres, as well as representatives from public administration, academia and NGOs.
Day1 – Tuesday 26.11.2013 focused on successful global maritime business company cases and co-operational networks from the Baltic Sea Region. National maritime clusters within the Baltic Sea Region will also be dealt with, for example, whether there are any common problems within the industry in Estonia, Finland and Latvia? And are there any chances of gaining any common, competitive advantage of the national challenges and opportunities?
Day2 – Wednesday 27.11.2013 focused on the Baltic Sea maritime sector from the global perspective through the eyes of local, regional, national and EU level actors. The day included high-level speeches and in-depth analysis of the project results and achievements through comments and discussion.
- Pasi Malinen: From Shipbuilding to Experience Economy
- Sari Nyroos: Summary of SmartComp Finnish Consultation Days
- Eva Branten: Summary of SmartComp Estonian Consultation Days
- Summary of SmartComp Latvian Consultation Days
- Jüri Sakkeus: Small Craft Competence Centre
- Valters Bolevics: Advantages of transport sector in Latvia
- Mikki Koskinen: ESL Shipping – Possibilities and Challenges in the Arctic Sea Routes
- Haukur M. Gestsson: Practices from other Local Maritime Clusters: North Atlantic Marine Cluster
- Kristiina Helenius: The Business Potential of the Baltic Maritime Cluster - Global Perspectives
- Bogdan Oldakowski: Responding to New Challenges in Facilitating Co-operation in Baltic Sea Region
- Olof Linden: Contemporary Global Issues in the Shipping Industry
- Ole Johansson: Baltic Sea Region Marine Industries in Global Competition
- Eini Laaksonen and Hanna Mäkinen
- Comment speech by Ulla Lainio
- Alari Purju and Eva Branten: Position of Stakeholders and Policy Making in the Central Baltic Sea Region Countries: Comparisons and Policy Suggestions
- Comment speech by Gunnar Prause
- Kaja Tampere: Challenges and Future of Central Baltic Region Maritime Cluster Branding
- Comment speech by Jaakko Lehtonen